Central Oregon Coast General Meeting Minutes
Newport High School Library
January 23, 2018
President Sheila Swinford called the meeting to order at 6pm. Approximately 26 folks attended.
Trina Kosydar presented a panel of 4 speakers on the topic of Campaign Crash Course. The panelists included: Dana Jenkins (Lincoln Co. Clerk), Brenda Brown (private citizen), JoAnn Barton (Port of Newport), and Billie Jo Smith (Mayor of Toledo). Each panelist offered information and tips for running for public office and answered audience questions.
Business Meeting was called to order at 7:40pm. Topics included:
- Resist and Persist March feedback:
- Route not on main drag so limited exposure to the public
- Some were glad it was a short walk and places to sit down at the end
- Folks felt supported and liked the music
- Police wouldn’t allow marchers to cross at the Shell Station, so had to walk up Hwy 20 instead of up Hwy 101.
- Some wish the march could have started at the bridge and end up at City Hall or the Rec. Center
- Some care more about marching – not so much about the rally.
- Sheila asked “What would you like to see this year”?
- Some want to focus on the 2018 midterm elections, voter suppression, voter registration efforts.
- The demoralized situation we’re in
- Overcoming divisiveness
- Program on intersectional feminism
- Who we are as a community
- The political scene
- What committees do we need?
- Next Foundation meeting February 12th.
Respectfully submitted by